Re: Slowing down while editing document on the client

Subject: Re: Slowing down while editing document on the client
From: Jason Quigley (jasonq@mac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 14:20:22 EDT

On 9/5/01 7:44 PM, "Mikkel C. Simonsen" <mcs@post5.tele.dk> wrote:

> Jason Quigley wrote:
>>
>> Okay, this looks like you are connecting by selecting the server name in the
>> chooser. The system is trying to do an DNS lookup for the server name/domain
>> as it will try to see if the server talks ASIP before reverting to ASAT.
>
> Are you sure about that? I have a test server running (Netatalk 1.5 pre
> 6 on FreeBSD). It isn't in the hostfile, and its not in the DNS, but the
> macs connect to it via TCP/IP when we click on the server in Chooser.
>
> So I guess the IP-address information is sent via Appletalk.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mikkel C. Simonsen

Yes, I am sure about this. This is from experience. Funnily enough though,
this stopped happening when we upgraded to 1.5pre6 on FreeBSD from 1.4 on
Debian Linux 2.2.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the way networking works on each of
these platforms. I have always found FreeBSD to kick Debian's rump on the
same hardware in terms of transfer speed.

So, I guess I should have asked what version (of netatalk) "stable" means.

Cheers,
Jason.