Re: Thank you.

Subject: Re: Thank you.
From: Steven Karel (karelsf@brandeis.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 14:20:38 EDT

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Bob Cent wrote:

> Please help me keep this all straight (newbie!). What protocols
> are used when one connects to a Linux server with:
>
> OS9 Chooser

appleshare over appletalk -- however, the client and server will
generally attempt
to negotiate a
connection using appleshare over IP before settling on appletalk

> OS9 Chooser Server IP

appleshare over TCP/IP

> OS10 Connect To Server

Depends what you type in! If you type in an address of the form
afp://myserver.myuniversity.edu it'll use appleshare over TCP/IP (it
assumes the afp:// if you omit it). If you
type in an address like http://myserver.myuniversity.edu it'll try to use
WebDAV. You can also use NFS.

> Windows Network Neighborhood

samba, but a full explanation of how the windows network neighborhood
works (or doesn't work) with samba is very longwinded.

steven

--
Steven Karel, Ph.D.
Biology Department, Brandeis Univ, MS 008