Re: file names don't appear right

Subject: Re: file names don't appear right
From: Thomas Schierle (ts@visual-s.de)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 13:50:35 EDT

On 2001-08-29 17:18 +0200, Jürgen Weltzer wrote:

>> I made 3 pdf files on the mac, with names "file.1-1.pdf",
>> "file.1-2.pdf", "file.1-3.pdf" which are saved on Macs desktop.
>> After that I wanted to save them on the linux box - but I can't copy
>> the 2nd and 3rd file, cause the names are cut to "file." and the mac
>> says "can't copy file 2 because theres another with the same name."
>
> I found out that this appears when the Distiller cuts the filenames,
> cause they would be too long with its suffix .pdf.
>
> The filenames written by Distiller are exaktly "file....1.pdf",
> "file....2.pdf"
> By copying to the linux box all after "file." is cut off.
> Does anyone know why? I'm using 1.5.6 on suse 7.1

Welcome to the joys of non-working code page translation -- Distiller
doesn't name the files "file....1.pdf" etc, in fact the names are
"fileŠ.1.pdf" where the first three dots are an ellipsis.

The Netatalk pre series up to pre6 simply cuts filenames where a character
occurs that cannot be translated to the target character set.

Fixed -- or at least improved -- with pre7.

--
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers