Re: Files not visible with over 31 characters

Subject: Re: Files not visible with over 31 characters
From: Steven Karel (karelsf@brandeis.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 13:10:21 EDT

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, David Nelson wrote:

> On Thursday 14 June 2001 10:50 pm, Carsten Neumann wrote:
> > What name truncation do you expect?
> > Please tell detailed rules!
>
> Okay. This is how I would like to see file name truncation handled:
>
> If the name is over 31 chars and there is no extension just lop chars off the
> end of the name to get it down to 31....

I agree not handling >31 character filenames is a nuisance. But users also
get muddled when file names change, so I wouldn't rate it as a high
priority.

David's rules seem ok if they can be codified into an algorithm for
naming.

By the way, there must be existing code for this. mkisofs (mkhybrid) will
correctly create HFS filesystems with unique names from a directory with
long filenames in which the first 31 characters match (I just tested it).
If someone thought this was a priority and wanted to work on it, I assume
there's code that could be ported over to use as a starting point.

steven