Re: Files not visible with over 31 characters

Subject: Re: Files not visible with over 31 characters
From: Lee Blevins (leeb@digitalgraphics.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 16:56:27 EDT

> > If the name is over 31 chars and there is no extension just lop chars
> > off the end of the name to get it down to 31....
>
> I agree not handling >31 character filenames is a nuisance. But users also
> get muddled when file names change, so I wouldn't rate it as a high
> priority.

It can make netatalk unuseable for allowing Mac's to see files in an ftp
server.

I don't understand why this exists. A Mac connected to a win2k server
doesn't have this problem.

I have installed Services for unix on my win2k server. I think I'll nfs
export dir from the freebsd box and mount it on the win2k and see if I
can then share it via Services for Macintosh.

Convluted I know but consider my alternative.

I have a business we don't like having to ask customers if they're
ftping from a mac or a pc and to limit them in their file names.

It's just bad business.

It's this kind of limitation that makes IT managers use Sun and Helios.

I would hope you and the others involved with netatalk see that this is
really a priority since it's a "deal killing" bug. I know we don't pay
for this but seriously, it should be the best it can be.