Re: OS X-Netatalk-thought

Subject: Re: OS X-Netatalk-thought
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 09:22:18 EDT

    NFS on OS X is not very good, and doesn't play nice with many other
    NFS's (Linux, Sun, IRIX, AIX I've tried). I can get mounts on
    occasion, but throughput is horrible, and OSX seems to have a
    low-limit on the number of TCP/UDP sockets it has open because it
    stalls dramatically (causing NFS to have to be restarted) under even
    "mid-level" loads.

On 19 Apr 2001 13:49:44 +0100, trevor allett wrote:
> Hi all, now that Apple has OS X, which by all accounts is based on
> some strain of U*nix and Netatalk provides translation between Apple
> and linux, would not a more direct approach, now be to NFS
> "underneath" the OS X GUI?
>
> just a thought!
> --
> ==============================
> Trevor Allett
> IT Support unit
> North Oxfordshire College,
> Banbury,
> Oxfordshire. United Kingdom.
> This message may contain information which is legally privileged
> and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any unauthorised disclosure, copying,
> distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited.
> Such notification notwithstanding, any comments or opinions
> expressed are those of the originator, not of
> North Oxfordshire College and School of Art,
> unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Matthew Keller Enterprise System Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of NY at Potsdam Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/