Re: File Permissions

Subject: Re: File Permissions
From: Karen A Swanberg (swanberg@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 16:14:13 EDT

on 10/03/01, Kelly S. Smelser wisely declared:

> I am trying to setup a class "Deliver File" volume in which members
> of the UNIX group associated with University faculty have RX access and
> students have WX access. That is, students may write to the volume but
> may not view the submissions to the volume by other students. What I
> found is that despire the fact that the directory permissions in UNIX
> are set to RWXR-X-WX there is a problem because Macintosh files are not
> copied with proper permissions on them. Thus, we find files gaining
> permissions in the "Deliver File" that they should not have because they
> are not properly assuming the permissions of the parent directory. I've
> been looking over man pages and haven't found a way to solve this
> problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does your unix support the 'sticky bit'? This is a flag you can set to
make all subdirectories (and files?) inherit the permissions of the parent
folder. But not all unix platforms support it. Let us know which unix
you're using, and we may be able to give more specific info.

-Karen

- -
    Karen Swanberg | Sys Admin | Dept. of Geology and Geophysics
206 Pillsbury Hall | 310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | University of Minnesota
     Minneapolis, MN 55455 (612) 624-6541 (612) 625-3819 (f)

              * <---- Tribble . <--- Tribble.tgz