papd vs lpd

Subject: papd vs lpd
From: jrd-atalk@jrd.org
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 22:12:44 EDT

I've recently "upgraded" a server to slackware 8.0, and everything
works except that I can no longer print from my mac. Attempts to
print cause the dreaded message

Your printer job (untitled)
was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

to show up as a mail message.

I've done some research into this, and found a number of hints
(permission problem, bugs in lpd, bugs in papd etc), but no hard data.
I'm pretty sure I no longer have permission problems, as I've ensured
that all the gid and uids line up with what the various daemons are
running as, and for good measure I chmod'ed everything in the spool
directories to allow rw by everybody, but no help. I've dug around
looking for various config options, but not found anything to turn up
debug levels, to try to figure out what's the root of the problem.
The papd and lpd code is all remarkably free of comments. Has anyone
out there come up with a definitive set of causes and/or cures for
this problem?

slackware 8.0
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3
lpr (lpd) 0.48