Re: so, options:noadouble just plain doesn't work?

Subject: Re: so, options:noadouble just plain doesn't work?
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 12:51:54 EDT

At 15:52 Uhr -0400 27.09.2001, Charles Mangin wrote:
>>Have you upgraded netatalk since your original install? When I went from 1.4.x to 1.5pre3 I found the .appledouble data to be incompatible. I was able to move/delete files existing on the server, but could not write new files without a -50 error.
>

>nope. this is a new install of 1.5pre. i had figured ther would be problems in upgrading, since so much changed from 1.4x to 1.5
>
>the options:noadouble is the culprit, i'm certain now. i created two shares on the server, one with noadouble enabled, and one with noadouble disabled, both pointing to the same place. copying a folder with files in it to one share worked fine; copying the same files to the other share failed every time with "file is locked"

[ I confirm..... same behavior on our servers. ]

It would be great if some future version of netatalk could implement some kind of -cleanfs option, where any HFS-related filesystem meta-information, as well as resource forks, are not saved at all on the ext2 or ufs filesystem, but instead provided 'by template' to the client (such as with AppleVolumes.system.)

Of course that would mean no resource forks, no folder settings, no labels, etc... but who cares for them, at least on _some_ cross-platform web or media shares?

BTW, I just got over an interesting article on arstechnica on mac-filesystem issues....
(not directly related to netatalk, but.... worth browsing)
http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/01q3/metadata/metadata-1.html

:-|

Lorenzo