Re: backing up using rsync+netatalk

Subject: Re: backing up using rsync+netatalk
From: Danny Sauer (dsauer@teleologic.net)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 09:19:41 EDT

Ian wrote regarding 'Re: backing up using rsync+netatalk' on Fri, Sep 14 at 03:00:

> system RedHat 7.0
> I use rsync to backup one large netatalk volume to another netatalk box
> with ssh. I have found it works very well and have had to recover all data
> once after a controller failed. The following is my attempt run as a cron
> job..
>
> /usr/bin/rsync --force --ignore-errors --delete --backup
> --backup-dir=/mnt/F/inc/staff/ -av -e ssh user@:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> /mnt/35gR/home1/ /mnt/C/staff/
>
> /F/inc/staff I use to store the difference /C/staff/ is the current
> backed redundant store or backup & /mnt/35gR/home1/ is the work I am
> backing up. I have found it a little slow over ssh but the volume is
> roughly 260gig. I found http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/ helpful.

You might find it noticably faster if you use rsync's -z option to
compress the data. It might also speed things up some if you go with
the blowfish ciper for ssh (ssh -c blowfish), as it's faster than
the 3des cipher, so your machines will spend less time encrypting/
decrypting and more time spitting data to the wire. Rsh is even
faster, but then you've gotta deal with the much lower level of
security provided by rsh, which might be OK on a machine that's only
accessible from trusted hosts on a trusted network...

--Danny