Re: problem installing netatalk

Subject: Re: problem installing netatalk
From: Nigel Pegram (editor.ac@churchesofchrist.org.au)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 19:07:26 EDT

> I'm trying to install netatalk on a Linux Mandrake 7.2, but it did not work.
> First I've tried to install an older version and got these messages:
>
> [root@SERVER /root]# rpm -i /var/lib/rpm/netatalk-1.4b2asun2.1.3-6.i386.rpm
> warning: The DDP services appear to be present in /etc/services.
> warning: Please check them against services.atalk in the documentation.
> [root@SERVER /root]#
>
> then I tested it, and it did not work as you can see below:
>
> [root@SERVER init.d]# ./atalk status
> atalkd is stopped
> [root@SERVER init.d]# ./atalk start
> Starting AppleTalk services: (backgrounded)
> [root@SERVER init.d]# ./atalk status
> atalkd is stopped
> [root@SERVER init.d]#
>
> Then I've tried a newer version (netatalk-1.5pre2-6.i386.rpm) from the
> RedHat 7.1 CD, but could'n even install it. See the error messages below:
>
> [root@SERVER /root]# cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
> [root@SERVER RPMS]# rpm -ivh netatalk*
> error: failed dependencies:
> libcrypto.so.1 is needed by netatalk-1.5pre2-6
> libdb-3.1.so is needed by netatalk-1.5pre2-6

This looks like you need to install these packages. This may also be the
reason that netatalk is not running, although this is an assumption on my
part.

> Last thing I tried was to uninstall and install a new downloaded one
> (netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm) - I guess the "mdk" in the file name has
> something to do with "Mandrake"...
> Anyway, it did not work, because when trying to uninstall the previous, the
> RPM gives me the message that the package is not installed and when trying
> to "RPM -ivh" the new version, it gives me the message that the package is
> already installed...
>
> [root@SERVER rpm]# rpm -ivh netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm
> package netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk is already installed
> [root@SERVER rpm]# rpm -e netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm
> error: package netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm is not installed
> [root@SERVER rpm]# rpm -U netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm
> package netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk is already installed
>
> I think I'm doing something stupid, but don't know what.
>
> What should I do to get netatalk working?

I use Debian, rather than redhat, but have had the situation where a
partially installed package would not let me reinstall or remove it. If I
remember correctly I had to use an option to allow me to force a downgrade
to allow me to install a working earlier version of the package over the
broken later one. You might want to look at the package tools documentation
to see how to deal with such a problem, get the dependencies sorted out and
then reinstall

HTH
Nigel.