backing up using rsync+netatalk

Subject: backing up using rsync+netatalk
From: Jesse (jg@floridasunonline.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 13:45:12 EDT

I need to back up a yellow dog linux system but do not have a cd-rom burner
that is compatible with linux. We have a cdrom that is attached to a mac
machine running OS 9. The idea I have is to use rsync to copy the entire
machine (yellow dog linux) to a netatalk shared folder (on another PC running
progeny) and then access the shared folder through the mac and burn backups.

I'm very new to macintosh's and fairly new to linux administration. Is this
a feasible strategy? I'm particularly worried about file permission mangling
and any other types of file corruption during the process.

Does anyone have any pointers to a better solution or advice on what to watch
for?

TIA,
Jesse

p.s. Anyone know how to compile rsync on Mac OS 9 or if a binary is
available? I can't seem to find anything anywhere?