Re: Was my question really that stupid?

Subject: Re: Was my question really that stupid?
From: Chad Leigh, ObjectWerks, Inc. (chad@objectwerks.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 13:22:13 EDT

->> From: "David L Kindred (Dave)" <d.kindred@telesciences.com>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:14:37 -0400
>> To: netatalk-admins@umich.edu
>> Subject: Was my question really that stupid?
>>
>> Quite some time back, I asked the following:
>>

>> I've inherited an old installation of uar on an old SunOS box that I'd
>> like to replace. I have a Linux box on all of the same networks as the
>> old box. I've read all the message archives, and everything else I can
>> find, but I haven't seen a definitive statement as to whether netatalk
>> can in fact replace uar.
>>
>> So, can netatalk replace uar?
>>
>> I got no replies. To me this indicates one of the following:
>>
>> 1) I asked a really stupid question and was ignored. But if the
>> question was that stupid, I would've have expected to have been
>> flamed.
>>
>> 2) No one here has heard of "uar". But then I would've expected a
>> counter-question.
>>
>> 3) My message never got propagated. But I did see my copy.
>>

>> So, I'll try again. Are any of you familiar with "uar", and can I
>> replace a uar based system with a netatalk based system?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.

The following is not meant as a flame, but to educate.

The 'Net is a great tool. But it does not remove the need to do your own
homework. The various mail lists cannot be looked at as your personal
researchers.

The proper way to go about this would to have

1. Researched "uar" and understand what it does, and what your needs are,
and how "uar" meets those needs.

2. Research "netatalk" and compare its capabilities to those needs you
have and "uar"s meeting of those needs.

3. Decide whether "netatlks" is a candidate to replace "uar" based on your
research.

4. Post to the netatalk list any specific questions based on your
evaluation of your needs, uar, and netatalk, to act as a safety net to make
sure you understood your needs and netatalk's capabilities. Propose to the
list that you are doing this replacement, stating your needs, any questions
that arose in your research, and see if any one knows of any red flags that
you did not consider.

If you expect others to do your research for you you will be disappointed.
If you take it upon yourself to figure things out, and then use the mail
list as a peer review of your work, you will probably be rewarded. You can
also use the list to ask for pointers to additional information or other
appriorate help if you get stuck in your research, or to ask specific
questions that come up while doing your own research.

best regards
Chad