Re: Permissions problems again...

Subject: Re: Permissions problems again...
From: Bryn Hughes (bhughes@vcc.bc.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 11:50:24 EDT

I had this problem and eventually discovered it was because I wasn't a member of the group that was being set. Since I wasn't a member of the group, I couldn't change the ownership of the directory to belong to that group. Once I added myself to the group, it worked fine.

Bryn

Bryn Hughes
Macintosh/Linux Support
Information and Computing Services
Vancouver Community College

email:bhughes@vcc.bc.ca
ph: (604) 443-8702
Urgent: (604) 871-7007

>>> Jason Quigley <jasonq@mac.com> - 9/6/01 2:03 PM >>>
Hi!

Does anybody know of a workaround for this:

Sep 6 22:40:21 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod
".AppleDouble/.Parent": Operation not permitted
Sep 6 22:40:21 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod ".AppleDouble":
Operation not permitted
Sep 6 22:40:38 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod
".AppleDouble/.Parent": Operation not permitted
Sep 6 22:40:38 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod ".AppleDouble":
Operation not permitted
Sep 6 22:49:40 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod
".AppleDouble/.Parent": Operation not permitted
Sep 6 22:49:40 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod ".AppleDouble":
Operation not permitted

I am using 1.5pre6 on FreeBSD 4.2?

Whenever a new folder is created on a share, I get a message saying that the
folder could not be created because I have insufficient privileges. The
folder is created anyway but when I look at it from a terminal I see that
the setgid bit is not set. Even if I run netatalk as setuid root, this
problem occurs.

I vaguely remember somebody mentioning a fix for this (or a workaround) a
long long time ago.

I'm at the point of writing a cron job that fixes up the permissions but
this is a nasty hack which won't fix this particular problem - it'll keep
all the permissions nice and tidy, though.

Please help my failing memory! :-)

Jason.