Re: Slowing down while editing document on the client

Subject: Re: Slowing down while editing document on the client
From: Jason Quigley (jasonq@mac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 12:19:30 EDT

Okay, this looks like you are connecting by selecting the server name in the
chooser. The system is trying to do an DNS lookup for the server name/domain
as it will try to see if the server talks ASIP before reverting to ASAT.
Your provider does not have this information, so the DNS request is timing
out. BTW - this is dialing your provider over the ISDN connection.

What you need to do is connect directly via the IP address from the chooser
or set up your own DNS server (pain in the butt) or create entries in your
hosts files on the Macs.

If you connect using the IP address, you can simply save a bookmark for the
server.

I think there is another way of sorting out this problem, but for the moment
it escapes me. Perhaps some helpful soul on the list can remember it.

Cheers,
Jason.