Re: Slow atalk file transfers

Subject: Re: Slow atalk file transfers
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 02:35:59 EDT

Dale Mirenda wrote:

> I have a Samba file server and a Netatalk file server running on the same
> computer. Using SUSE 7.2 and the Netatalk version that comes installed with
> that distribution (I'm embarrassed to say that I'm so new to Linux I can't
> find the version number for Netatalk). File transfers from the Windows and
> NT clients to the Samba server are incredibly fast: they make my NT file
> server seem like a dog. File transfers through Netatalk are so slow they are
> impractical for my Mac clients to use, sometimes taking several minutes for
> the same file or folder that Samba accepts in seconds. Where do I start
> troubleshooting this problem?
>
> Dale Mirenda
> IT Manager
> Shapiro and Associates, Inc.
> 101 Yesler Way, Seattle, WA 98104-3425
> (206) 624-9190, Fax (206) 624-1901
> IT@shap.com

Funnily, I have the exact reverse problem. Netatalk works like a charm ( 2 Gigs
in about 4 and a half minutes (the gigabit interface on the server helps alot),
but performancs using samba is nor satisfying...Maybe I should switch to 2.2.x to
see if things improve...

Now, the obvious questions: What versions of smb/netatalk/kernel are You using?
What are the compile options for Your netatalk version/samba version?
How is Your netatalk configured (excerpts from the config files are welcome)?

H.

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252