Slow atalk file transfers

Subject: Slow atalk file transfers
From: Dale Mirenda (IT@shap.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 19:52:12 EDT

I have a Samba file server and a Netatalk file server running on the same
computer. Using SUSE 7.2 and the Netatalk version that comes installed with
that distribution (I'm embarrassed to say that I'm so new to Linux I can't
find the version number for Netatalk). File transfers from the Windows and
NT clients to the Samba server are incredibly fast: they make my NT file
server seem like a dog. File transfers through Netatalk are so slow they are
impractical for my Mac clients to use, sometimes taking several minutes for
the same file or folder that Samba accepts in seconds. Where do I start
troubleshooting this problem?

Dale Mirenda
IT Manager
Shapiro and Associates, Inc.