Re: [Netatalk-devel] Files not appearing in folder on mac client

Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] Files not appearing in folder on mac client
From: Simon Bazley (sibaz@sibaz.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 11:38:59 EDT

Files created with SAMBA don't create .AppleDouble files, cause they don't
have resource fork.
All the problems I had with Samba and Netatalk came down to the access rights
of the users concerned. Check that the user trying to see the file has read
access to the file and has execute on the directory its sitting in. If they
can see other files in the same directory then the execute bit is already set,
and its probably a rights issue, so check the owner of the file.
The problem I used to get was files would be created in the editorial
directory with rw-r--r-- and owned by fred.fred and the rest of the editorial
team couldn't access it. I got round it on the samba side by ensuring the
editorial share had "force group=+Editorial" and the global "create mask =
0664" (and "directory mask = 0775"). The + on force group means only force
people to that group if they are a member of that group already.
Sadly I couldn't get the same thing to work with netatalk so I had to set the
primary group of all of editorial to editorial, so files were created
fred.editorial and hence everoyne was happy. Clearly that breaks if the mac
users go creating files in other shares, but I couldn't see a way to work
around that problem. In the end if anyone found they couldn't access a file,
they'd call my office and I'd just go into where the file was and do a "chown
.editorial * -R" and "chmod g+wrX * -R". Less than ideal, but it worked.

Simon