Re: netatalk search volume

Subject: Re: netatalk search volume
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 09:56:52 EDT

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:40:59 -0700 (PDT), jeff@sudjam.com wrote:

[quotings rearranged :-/ ]
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
>> You know that with MacRoman encoding there exists only one illegal char in a
>> filename suitable for afp?
>>
>> It's the colon ":"

> Yeah you are probably right. I did remove any string in a filename that
> had ":hh" a colin with two hex characters afterwards. -j

":hh" is _not_ a hex value ("ff" aka 255 would be the highest ;-)

Interesting though. Netatalk normally displays these characters in its
MacRoman representation. In my eyes it is a violation of afp specs,
displaying characters that can confuse an afp client. Would be better if
Netatalk replaces these characters with another char (eg. ":c4") to map
these illegal chars to 'friendlier' ones.

Regards,

Thomas