Re: netatalk search volume

Subject: Re: netatalk search volume
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 05:00:27 EDT

Thomas Kaiser wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:01:00 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Masud wrote:
>
> > I'm having a couple of issues with our netatalk server, maybe someone can
> > give ideas.
>
> Please supply Netatalk version and the os you use.
>
> > 1. We are unable to search a 100GB volume, it gos and goes and goes... for
> > about 5 mins and the returns an error. Is there any way to index the
> > server like how Watson index the local drive for faster searching?

[snip]

> AFAIK, Netatalk doesn't support FPCatSearch at the moment, so your clients
> finder have to run through the whole volume on its own, to search for files
> matching your search criteria.

A workaround is not to search the entire volume, but only a subfolder.
If Your data is sufficiently organized, this might be an option.

Regards,
        Harald

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252