Netatalk as AppleTalk router (was: Re: Poor netatalk performance)

Subject: Netatalk as AppleTalk router (was: Re: Poor netatalk performance)
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 04:50:42 EDT

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:36:05 -0400 (EDT), Mac Conin wrote:

[message rearranged ;-) ]
> [...]
> Pedro Corte-Real wrote:
>> I know nothing compared to you guys but I think all this guy needs is a line
>> like:
>>
>> eth0
>>
>> on his atalkd.conf. That line will make netatalk ignore the eth1 interface
>> and work with the eth0 only.
>>
>> Sorry if I'm talking nonsense.
>
> This is correct - if seed is not in the line routing for netatalk is disabled

No.

Netatalk _tries_ to act as a router if it is configured to use two ore more
NICs on one machine.

This does not depend on whether you want Netatalk to be a seed router on one
or more interfaces or not. Netatalk can also act like a non-seed AppleTalk
router.

If you start with

    eth0 -phase 2
    eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net10-10 -addr 10.142 -zone "zone"

then Netatalk will look for a seed router on eth0 and learn it's
configuration for this segment (and other connected segments behind this
router also). On eth1 Netatalk will try to become a seed router for this
segment.

The only thing that matters is that network ranges stay unique in all
segments and that the same default zones are published (the first '-zone'
entry is the default zone on that segment)

One exception:

asun2.1.3 (and later?) supports also the switch '-router'. If this is set
you can publish zones on one single interface:

<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1999/2163.html>

regards,

Thomas