Heterogeneous File and Printing

Subject: Heterogeneous File and Printing
From: jim@lateral.net
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 13:02:51 EDT

Hi

I hope you can help a inexperienced netatalk admin I have recently being
employed to perform admin duties on a Heath Robinson network containing
30 Macs, iMacs, G3/G4 OS 9 and OS X, half a dozen 95, 98, ME machines 3
Windows 2000 professional boxes and a variable number of Linux/BSD
clients used as "toys". I am trying to rationalize our services.

My 2 main problems to date are file and print services Our current
server is Red Hat 6.2 with a 2.2.12 kernel it is horribly unstable and
all of the above machines have problems at times getting and holding a
connection. I intend to replace it with Debian Potato and install the
latest netatalk module which I hope will help. The second problem is
printing currently we are using ACITS but this is incompatible with
Windows 2000. I am thinking of replacing this with CUPS am I right in
thinking this will solve most of my problems?

I hope this will help you to help me any advise would be gratefully
received even if it is RTFM here, here and here.

Thanks Jim