Re: other passwd

Subject: Re: other passwd
From: Matthew Geier (matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 19:39:28 EDT

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> I'm usins netatalk on Linux and on another computer I have MacOS 8.6.
>
> It is working well. Right now I use my Linux user's login to get data
> via netatalk. The problem is that my passwords usually are larger than
> 6 characters, but the login window on MacOS (for my Appletalk server
> volume on Linux) allows max 6 chars for login.
>
> 2 quesstions on that:
>
> 1) Is it possible to enlarge the amount of chars I can type into the
> login screen on MacOS, in order to mount my Linux volumes on Mac?

 The DHX UAM does longer passwords. I think the others 'clear text' and
friends are limited to 8 characters by protocol. Blame Apple. It would
appear they introduced the DHX UAM to overcome the 8 character limit
with OSX servers. ASIP servers won't let you set longer than 8 character
passwords.

--
Matthew Geier			matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713