Re: other passwd

Subject: Re: other passwd
From: Leland Wallace (randall@apple.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 18:34:44 EDT

On Thursday, June 28, 2001, at 08:41 AM, Seanano wrote:

>>> Hm, sounds good, but I guess the quickest way is to change my Linux
>>> password to <= 8 chars...
>>
>> That should not be necessary. Recent versions of the Appleshare client
>> (at least 3.8.6, quite possibly older versions as well)
>> allow more than 8 characters in a password; my password is 9 characters
>> and it happily works with recent versions of netatalk (--with-pam and
>> using Redhat's default setup)
>
> Is there some kind of preference/resource setting for this? I'm using
> Appleshare 3.8.8 and it won't let me type in more than 8 chars when
> connecting to my AppleshareIP box or to my netatalk box (via cleartext).
> Is this limit is sent by the server?
>
> Sean

Folks,
   On the AppleShare Client, the cleartext UAM is limited to 8 chars. If
you use the DHX UAM you can get up to 64 chars. Look in the list
archives for
instructions on how to enable DHX for netatalk.

Hope this helps
Leland Wallace
AppleShare Client Lead

Leland Wallace Working in AppleShare Engineering
randall@apple.com but not speaking for Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall