Re: semi-off-topic: how to veto Mac-Icon files in Samba?

Subject: Re: semi-off-topic: how to veto Mac-Icon files in Samba?
From: Frank Joerdens (frank@joerdens.de)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 15:57:35 EDT

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:13:11PM -0400, Ryan McBeth wrote:

> Lorenzo, just drop this into your smb.conf file and edit away
> what you don't need.
>
> veto files =
> /*Security*/*root*/.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
> Folder/.Parent/Icon?/Desktop/DesktopFolderDB/

I tried that for a while until I noticed that Samba then vetoes anything
that starts with Icon*, e.g. files that are named >Icon< or >Icons< . .
. since this a graphics shop, people do name their files like that now
and then . . .

Maybe the Samba config file parser is not capable of coping with this,
since it assumes that >Icon?< is a regular expression. You'd probably
need to hack the Samba source, search for the code that does the
vetoing, and then tweak it according to your needs, or maybe find that
there is a way to represent the funny character at the end of the
Icon (does anyone know what it is in hex, or how to find out what it
is?) files correctly for the config file parser . . . ugh.

I am resigned to the fact that some things simply don't work too
perfectly in a mixed PC/Mac environment with Netatalk/Samba. Overall I
must say though that we don't have many problems (I think it's funny
that the, theoretically, gravest issue, the locking problem, has not
caused _any_ hiccups in almost a year of mostly smooth operation).

Cheers, Frank