Re: Unix (Netatalk) Client of Conventional MacOS Server?

Subject: Re: Unix (Netatalk) Client of Conventional MacOS Server?
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 16:23:58 EDT

On 16 May 2001 14:10:05 -0400, Allan Hunter wrote:
> Will Netatalk enable me to be a CLIENT of those shares? Or is
> Netatalk only useful for turning Unix boxes into AppleShare SERVERS?

    No. Yes (and more).

> If Netatalk won't allow me to be a client, what will? (There HAS to
> be something! I refuse to believe there doesn't exist a way for a
> Unix box to function as an individual workstation in an AppleTalk
> networked environment!)

    Sorry, nothing worth a dung (AFAIK). afpfs exists, but, AFAIK, it is
    not being maintained.

> Relevant additional information: MacOS X in its out-of-the-box form
> is not able to browse AppleShare resources except for those that sit
> piggyback on top of TCP/IP. Plain old garden variety AppleTalk file
> sharing isn't affiliated with TCP/IP.

    Correct.

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise System Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of NY at Potsdam Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/