Re: tracking logins

Subject: Re: tracking logins
From: R Cent (cent@u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 10:48:55 EDT

> > What is the best way to determine the last time a Mac user has
> > logged into a linux server? Logging in through Netatalk does
> > not record information that the "finger" command can show.
> > Thanks.
>
> Each login is recorded in /var/log/messages, and looks something like
> this...

Cliff,

Thanks for the reply.

I have examined the /var/log/messages,
/var/log/messages1,..../var/log/messages4 on my server. Each
contain a week's worth of logins. My server has been up for
about 4 months yet I only have five weeks of log-in records.
This doesn't help if I want to see if a user hasn't use his
account with in several months.

Does your system keep /var/log/messages farther back in time?

Bob Cent
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA 98195-7330