netatalk 1.5p6, OS X 10.0.1, OS 9...

Subject: netatalk 1.5p6, OS X 10.0.1, OS 9...
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 22:49:19 EDT

Hi,

I succesfully got netatalk 1.5pre6 to work with my SuSE 6.3 box, thanks to MacConin for the /etc/pam.d/netatalk trick on SuSE, and to ./configure --with-pam --with-shadow --enable-suse --with-flock-locks --with-config-dir=/etc/atalk.
To work, I mean it _looks like_ the best version _working fine_ with OS 9 until now.

-[In our case, _fine_ means: fair speed in transfers of thousands of small files and dirs; opening/saving big image files on the server; opening/saving text files; succesful use of GoLive's site features (a hard test, I know...;); use of FileMaker files; with a lower priority, but still important: succesful launching of applications from the server; succesful mounting and use of images (.smis and .imgs and .dimgs).
The first are the tests that I usually perform after a new build. Apps and Images follow if the first pass. When I want to be really evil, I also try to open MS Office files on the server ;)]-

1.5p6 passed all tests with OS 9 (still testing for reliability and with more clients, though)... but OSX is still cut out of the sourceforge tree... or did anyone get it to work any 1.5pX reliably?

After compiling different versions on different platforms, it came out, in my cases, that:

only netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4pre37_test (with -DUSE-FLOCK-LOCKS) gives the impression to work with OSX (few errors, succesful transfers...), but then causes sooner or later Darwin to panic. On the other hand, my OS9 clients keep freezing and caughing with the asun builds....

all sourceforge netatalk versions I tried (and some newer asun builds) rarely caused Darwin to panic, login was possible (some _only_ thanks to the trick of using -loginmesg "something" in afpd.conf), but then they caused OSX to display a lot of Error -43's, sometimes -50, and one time 8021.

netatalk 1.5pre6 behaves the same with OSX (-43s), except that with --enable-lastdid did files where transferred partially (even if the error message was displayed in the osx finder).

and 1.5pre6 still causes the

afpd[xxx]: setdirowner: chown -1/0
.AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

messages noticed recently...
(when used with _OS 9_ - I couldn't get it to happen with an OSX client)

One strange thing of these messages: they seem to assume that afpd is running as root, as noticed by M.K. - I've seen this happening only with netatalk1.5pre3 on LinuxPPC 2000 Q4: All afpd processes were running as root, but the users still got their correct access rights to the share folders (note: no admingroup, plain users).
I also noticed that that was the only combination of Linux+NetAtalk which transfered very fast also directories with thousands of files and subdirs: > 5MB/sec on a PMac G3 DT/266, while others don't get over 1-2-3 MB/s.
Where can this (root/nonroot) be set? Is it set by --enable-redhat (which I used for LPPC)?

...hope this post helps...

please keep it going, you're doing a good work on the sourceforge project, I believe - but pleeeease let us netatalkers enjoy OSX soon ... ;)

:-|

LP