Re: Netatalk problems on MacOS X 10.0.1

Subject: Re: Netatalk problems on MacOS X 10.0.1
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 17:24:05 EDT

Unofficial $0.02 - Don't use RPM builds from RedHat, they're generally
bad. 1.4B2+asun2.1.4 is quite stable when built from source, although it
is considered "untested" by the old maintainers (I can say, however,
that it's pretty solid for most environments (unless you use Quark ;)

The current developers working on 1.5 (currently in a "pre1.5" state) -
And more importantly the builds being released off of the SourceForge
site - Are the only real "developer supported" releases- There simply
aren't enough developers to "deal" with maintaining both code bases- As
far as FAQ entries regarding 1.4b2 releases, there isn't anything
consistant to put in the FAQ's except a big 240point "YMMV" and "Stay
away from ANY builds from distributions (Debian, RedHat and SuSe
(possibly others as well) builds tend to be quite buggy, and use
non-normal build options). Patches against the 1.4B2 tree are still
being looked at for inclusion into 1.5 (if they get to the right
place/people), but are more prone to being rejected than patches against
the 1.5 code. I recommend any patches be submitted through the
SourceForge patch manager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/) or
to the netatalk-devel list (subscribe off of the aforementioned URL).

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise System Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of NY at Potsdam Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/