Re: Sherlock from Mac OS 9 slow

Subject: Re: Sherlock from Mac OS 9 slow
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 20:18:18 EST

At 17:19 Uhr -0500 29.03.2001, Vic Landi wrote:
>Problem is that _find_ is usually generated every night by cron... The mac
>does it on the fly... if you wanted to repeat the process, you'd be choking
>up a lot of time running the update every second...

You seem to be right. /usr/bin/finding on 60gigs of hds took 10 mins
14 secs.. (G3 DT/ 266)
while OS9 on a G4 needs _20 secs_ on the same amount of data. It
looks like some kind of index is being made 'on the fly'...
But: the same search that took 46 secs with find -iname, took _25_
minutes with netatalk to complete (for 625 result items in 16 Gigs).
that can't be true.
Find is terribly slow but, still, usable - waiting for one
neta-search to complete you get old.
It would still be an improvement x30 to implement find's methods...

on the other hand, as for alternatives: i think a combination of
apache (Options Indexes et al.), htdig and a sherlock-plug-in might
do a good job for content-based finding, that could partially ease
the pain of not having decent name searches. I still don't know what
Sherlock does with a link like file:///folder/file.... he might as
well try to open it with a browser and for sure there'll be no 'Open
Enclosed Folder' option available. So it might also involve writing a
small 'Neta-htdig-Sherlock....' or an app handling a 'special
protocol' like netatalk://. In this case one could search with a
browser and the link would then reveal (via a special app catching
the appropriate event) the file.... yes, it's getting tricky.

;-!

Lorenzo