Re: Sherlock from Mac OS 9 slow

Subject: Re: Sherlock from Mac OS 9 slow
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 16:04:55 EST

At 15:32 Uhr -0500 29.03.2001, Vic Landi wrote:
>I've been looking for a solution as well, however I'm afraid there is not
>one yet. The problem is that the Mac OS uses a db to make the searches
>faster (a hidden file that makes records on where everything is) So when
>you do a sherlock search on a netatalk server you actively search through
>the directory tree, taking a lot of time. Solutions to this have been
>posed... These include the ext3 file system (if and when it comes out) and
>rasierfs (this I'm unsure of)

Hi!

I don't understand why a different filesystem should be needed.
I mean, _find_ works way faster than sherlock searches on netatalk - wouldn't it be possible to link to find or its library, or use its sources to implement a faster search?
I made some tests over a Perl CGI using find (plannig to make a sherlock plug-in with file:// urls), and though slower than sherlock-on-asip, it was very usable for what concerns the speed (on netatalk sherlock is unusable, let's face it - at least on volumes larger than 4GB).
Unfortunately, because my netatalk is not yet using codepages, I can't use this CGI yet (url / character conversion issues...).
If I get to finish it and it looks usable I can post that cgi here, but I'd prefer somebody could implement something like find-in-netatalk......

:-)

Lorenzo