Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...

Subject: Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...
From: Marcus Radich (marcus@darena.co.nz)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 16:12:04 EST

OK, it's slower. Bugger. Next topic.

For those of you who are reasonably new to the Mac platform, I can
tell you from experience:

System 1.1 was faster than System 4.2
System 6.0.7 was MUCH faster than System 7
System 7.6.1 was MUCH faster than Mac OS 8.

I went back and forward between System 6.0.5 and System 7 SEVERAL
times on my SE/30 back in 1991. System 6.0.5 was a ROCKET on the
SE/30, System 7 was a DOG!

Today, we don't run 6.0.5, we got over it, we accepted 7, it turned
out better after 7.1, we moved on.

Think about it.

mrad01

BTW, netatalk 1.4b2+asun 214 -37b works very well with Mac OS X as
long as you add the DEFS= -DFLOCKS thingy to the sys/Linux/Makefile
before you compile. I haven't tried 1.5. You can only connect via IP
(great!) and transferring files large and small has worked for me
since 4K46

mrad01

At 10:31 PM +0200 27/3/2001, Jason Quigley wrote:
>Everybody is talking about Classic here. Granted, that's faster, but
>things like re-sizing windows and using the finder are just as slow,
>even if they do look prettier.
>
>Cheers,
>Jason.
>

>On Tuesday, March 27, 2001, at 10:13 pm, Chad Cunningham wrote:
>

>>I agree, I've got the final release on an iBook G3 300 and it works great.
>>The slowness associated with PB is gone, doesn't get hung up switching
>>active windows, etc. Apps are still a bit slow to launch, but waking up
>>from sleep is much much faster. Speed on classic apps is excellent, much
>>much better than PB.
>>
>>Really, I think it will run fine on any G3 with sufficient ram (at least
>>128 if you want to use classic).

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer." Marcus Radich 1999