Probs with netatalk -- server crashes

Subject: Probs with netatalk -- server crashes
From: John L Grantham (john@grantham.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 21:35:11 EST

Hi all,

I've been having some weird troubles with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7
on a beige G3 with LinuxPPC 2000 Q4, kernel 2.2.18, an Asante
10/100BaseT Ethernet card, and IBM 30 GB Deskstar IDE drive.

It all had been working just fine for months until today, literally
as I was working and saving a file to the server from a Mac.

The Macs are all running Mac OS 9.1, most connected via 100BaseT Ethernet.

Here is the phenomenon:

1. When I try to copy a file to the server, the Mac reads the file
into memory, then gets stuck once trying to send it to the server;
eventually, the server will close the connection. Meanwhile, the
server keeps trying to write the file (even after the connection is
closed) so that it balloons to many megabytes (even over a gigabyte)
in size, until I stop atalkd and kill -9 afpd (that seems to be the
only way to stop this from happening more).

2. Copying from the server works fine most of the time, but sometimes
during a long copy, especially involving many files, the server will
close the connection before the copy is finished.

When problem 2 shows up, this appears in /var/log/messages:

Mar 21 03:27:11 localhost afpd[946]: dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection
reset by peer
Mar 21 03:27:11 localhost afpd[946]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Mar 21 03:27:11 localhost afpd[946]: 1091.27KB read, 28239.01KB written
Mar 21 03:27:11 localhost PAM_pwdb[946]: (netatalk) session closed
for user John
Mar 21 03:27:11 localhost afpd[946]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Mar 21 03:27:11 localhost afpd[670]: server_child[1] 946 exited 1

If other Macs are connected, they don't seem to be affected, unless
they are also trying to copy at the same time.

I had a power outage yesterday, but I checked the filesystems with
fsck -fv, and everything seems to be okay. And it worked okay after
the outage -- just suddenly stopped working today.

The only other thing that changed on the server today was that I
installed a Voodoo graphic card -- but that can't affect it, can it?

Everything else on the computer seems to work fine (XFree86, normal
copying, SSH/scp, etc.).

As it happens, I also tried updating to netatalk-1.5pre5, and ended
up having exactly the same problems others have mentioned -- not
being able to copy to the server because of a lack of access
privileges, with resource files showing up in .AppleDouble with no
permissions (---------). So I downgraded to 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7 again,
and then the two problems above reappeared.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

John

PS Please CC me on any response -- thanks!

--

John Grantham | Dipl.-Designer (FH) | Homepage http://design.macnews.de/ | Linux for PPC http://www.linuxppc.org/ Web Designer | AGD Member http://www.agd.de/