rand2num passwords OpenBSD 2.8

Subject: rand2num passwords OpenBSD 2.8
From: Karen A Swanberg (swanberg@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 15:30:41 EST

I've scoured the mail archives and the docs for the answer to this one, it
should be working...

I've installed netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on an OpenBSD 2.8
server. Everything works except getting encrypted passwords. I've tried a
number of things. First, my makefile did have the directory to find des.a
and libdes.a, and compiled without errors. Is there something I need to do
to activate DES in the OpenBSD kernel? I can't imagine the default GENERIC
kernel doesn't have it turned on.

I had my rc.local file disabling guest as it launched afpd for awhile,
with the -G option, but turned it off while working on this problem.

Right now my afpd.conf files says:

"server" -noguest -nocleartext -savepassword -setpassword -rand2num

AppleVolumes.default has:

~
/home/public "PublicFileShare"

The macs will still let me on, but the login screen says "cleartext" and
won't let me change or set passwords. This is true on OS 8.1, 8.6 and
9.0.4.

.passwd exists in my home directory, and in /home/public, and has
the correct permissions etc.

When I make those changes to afpd.conf, and SIGHUP afpd and atalkd, this
turns up in /var/log/daemon:

afpd[24529] disallowing logins

But I can still log in from the macs as myself and the test account.

I just started working with Netatalk a week or so ago, so I'm still fairly
new to it's workings.

I see references to afppasswd in the mail archives, but no such thing
exists on my system. Is that linux only?

I think I'm missing something really simple. Anyone see it?

And, another really stupid question. I was using the precompiled
port/package of netatalk for OpenBSD first, and had problems. So I
compiled the one I'm using now and it works much better. But the port had
the BSD devil icon on the share tray instead of the world, which the
compiled version has. I'd like the BSD icon back, but when I get the copy
on the BSD webpage, it's not transparent, and I can't get it to be
transparent. I've tried a number of methods to make it transparent, but
apparently I'm much more graphically challenged than I thought. I don't
suppose someone would be willing to send me a copy of the transparent BSD
appleshare icon?

Thanks and sincerely,

* *
Karen Swanberg |
Network Admin. | Error: Sector not found--
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |search behind couch? (Y/N)
206 Pillsbury Hall |
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE |
University of Mn | Enter any 11-digit prime
Minneapolis, MN 55455 | number to continue...
(612) 624-6541 |
* *