Re: Mac OS X - connecting to Netatalk servers

Subject: Re: Mac OS X - connecting to Netatalk servers
From: David J. Shaub (zer0@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 11:25:04 EST

On Thursday, March 15, 2001, at 10:28 PM, Marcus wrote:

> I have been using one of the "later than the public beta(4k17)"
> versions of OSX(4k78), and connecting to netatalk-1.4b2+asun214-37b
Have the same trouble with 4k78. In fact the log files I captured were
from an attempt by a 4k78 box.
> servers fine. Last night I backed up my Titanium Powerbook to a
> netatalk server (4GB of data) without a problem.
> I have had a friend of mine report that coping a HUGE amount of data
> would cause OSX to kernel panic, but that was 4k29.
Are you using EXT2 for your disks? Would using HFS+ volumes in Linux
make any difference on how Netatalk handles the the connection to the
client(Resource fork emulation..).
> Don't use the "official" public beta for testing, it is a completely
> different OS to the later ones...which is a relief. I am running
> netatalk on a Mandrake 7.2 on a IBM e-server x200, and using
> netatalk-1.4b2+asun214-37b with encrypted passwords support.
Your version of Netatalk(the asun part) seems to have a slightly
different version numbers scheme. Did you get a special build from
somewhere other than the normal places(Sourceforge etc.), maybe I can
try your build....