Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 14:17:12 EST

Chris Harwell wrote:
> cool. then do i understand correctly that we could patch netatalk to use
> samba's locking API thus preventing this file corruption?

        The new Samba 2.2 locking API is provided via a separate library, that
will allow for other server-type applications to, in effect "share"
locks, or at least honor each other's locks. Unfortunately, because of
what a Windows client EXPECTS when it opens a file on a server as
opposed to what a Mac EXPECTS when it opens a file on a server, this may
not prevent ANYTHING bad from happening. Macs are very sensitive to
"permission" changes after a file is opened - If when the file was
opened the Mac was given write permission, it expects the ability to
write to the file at any time until IT closes the file - This is a bad
assumption (just one of many), and will most probably collide with ANY
collaborative locking mechanism/API.

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise Systems Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of New York at Potsdam Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/ PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/