Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Chris Harwell (charwell@digitalpulp.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 12:17:07 EST

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Matthew Keller wrote:

> Frank Joerdens wrote:
> > Please explain. I've kinda regretted using Netatalk/Samba because of
> > this and troubles with the mswindwos/codepage options. If NT/2000 has
> > trouble with locking too, that would be a relief!
>
> Albeit better than the NON-EXISTANCE of shared locking between
> Samba/Netatalk (although the new Samba has a locking API, so
> theoretically any program can use its locking API to "stay safe" with
> Samba), NT/2k still do not lock well between the two platforms. There is
> no way to lock parts of a file, and write-locks don't exist, so both
> plats can simultaneously write to the same file and possibly corrupt it
> horribly.

cool. then do i understand correctly that we could patch netatalk to use
samba's locking API thus preventing this file corruption?

i'd like to lean more about this. where would i look to lean more about
this?

what does linux do in terms of file locking? is there a level of
abstraction above specific filesystems and file sharing protocols?

what are the options for getting locking to work with
local access to the file system + NFS + samba + netatalk?

thanks,

--
chris
charwell@digitalpulp.com