Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Niall O Broin (niall@magicgoeshere.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 09:34:17 EST

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 02:55:13PM +0100, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 07:44:54PM -0600, Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > > which the PC can't deal with (my PC actually crashes when trying to
> > > access a file containing ':' that was created on the Mac).
> >
> > How did you create a filename with ':' in it? For as long as I can remember,
> > every time I type a ':' in a filename, the Finder replaces it instantly with
> > a '-'. The Mac uses colons the same way *nix uses '/' or DOS/Windows uses
> > '\' -- to terminate directory names in file paths. They are gracefully
> > disallowed in filenames.

The filename with ':' in it is simply created by creating a file on a Mac
with some character which is mapped e.g. / (maps to :2f), which cannot be in
a Unix filename for the reason you already mentioned i.e. it is the
directory separator.

> if I create a Folder with '/' in its name on a Mac, it will show up as
> ':2f' on the PC.

On the PC which is the server, do you mean ? Because you won't see :2f in a
'doze Explorer list - it'll mangle the filename to something with a ~ in it.

Regards,

Niall O Broin