Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Frank Joerdens (frank@joerdens.de)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 10:50:48 EST

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 02:34:17PM +0000, Niall O Broin wrote:
[ . . . ]
> > if I create a Folder with '/' in its name on a Mac, it will show up as
> > ':2f' on the PC.
>
> On the PC which is the server, do you mean ? Because you won't see :2f in a
> 'doze Explorer list - it'll mangle the filename to something with a ~ in it.

No, I mean on my NT box (NT 4.0 Workstation SP 6a) I see :2f in the
filename served by the Netatalk/Samba Linux PC. Trying to open a file or
folder with somthing like this in it doesn't always crash my NT box;
most of the time it will just say that the file does not exist. Quite
often though, I get a blue screen of death, and I need to reset my NT
PC (no graceful recovery possible). I haven't been able to figure out
exactly under which circumstances the crash occurs but it always happens
when I try to access funny folder or filenames.

Regards, Frank