Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Richard Michael (rmichael@numbersixnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 17:56:01 EST

* Daniel E. Lautenschleger <dan@www.molbio.wisc.edu> [010306 17:04]:
> Would anyone care to comment on experiences they've had sharing data out
> on a volume that was accessed by Netatalk and Samba? Any glitches? No
> problem, go ahead and do it, your nuts, dude..., etc...

I've been doing this for awhile. I have a stable netatalk/samba server
at netatalk 1.4b2+asun. No trouble; unless my users aren't telling me.
Read the mailing lists - there a --with-netatalk config time option (not
in the build docs that I could see, but it was covered on the mailing
list IIRC). --with-netatalk is currently an experimental hack, if I
remember, it forces samba to move the .AppleDouble entries if a PC user
moves files around from the PC (so as not to pooch appleshare side
stuff). Don't know how reliable it is, I only included that option on
the most recent server I config'd and it hasn't been tested thoroughly
yet.

Build it and try it out.

Otherwise, nope you're not crazy. It's pretty nice. Just be aware of
the filename issues and that Mac people should add the appropriate
suffix to files they expect to dclick on a PC.

Incidently, if --with-netatalk destroys something or is generally nasty,
let me know :) There's too much traffic on the samba lists to subscribe
:)

Ciao.
Rich