Permissions Problems (or: Spare a clue for a newbie, guv'nor?)

Subject: Permissions Problems (or: Spare a clue for a newbie, guv'nor?)
From: Eric Hillman (eric@dothegood.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 15:02:55 EST

I've been wrestling with netatalk 1.5pre4 on a RH Linux 7.0 box all day,
and I'm on the verge of complete collapse here. I imagine this is a simple
problem, but I can't seem to see it, and the documentation is somewhat, um,
oblique, particularly for those of us unfamiliar with AppleTalk to begin
with.

Anyways, after much finagling, I have finally managed to get users able to
log in and view their home directories. Unfortunately, they can't create
files there. The error the user gets is generally something along the lines
of "cannot create file (file locked)." with buttons for "Stop" and
"Continue". Whichever I choose, the user can succesfully create an empty
file, which they can open, but not edit or delete (errors are usually
similar to the above although occasionally an "error -50" will occur.)

On the server, I'm getting messages like:

setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Invalid argument
setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not Permitted

I'm sure it's a permission or configuration problem, but nothing I try seems
to change this behavior. What am I missing here?

--
Eric Hillman
eric@dothegood.com