Re: Quick Setup Question [offtopic]

Subject: Re: Quick Setup Question [offtopic]
From: C (cmorillo@kinkaid.org)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 16:40:22 EST

on 2/25/01 3:49 PM, Heath Henderson at heath@dave-world.net wrote:

> I am getting ready to set up a few new servers. I have been reading a lot
> lately about swap space. One article reads keep it consistent with the
> about of Physical Ram in the machine. So this would mean if I have 256 MB
> of Ram, I set the swap to 256. But other articles read keep it consistent
> up to 64 MB of Ram. Do not set Swap space higher than 64mb.
>
> I ask, should I set the swap size above 64 if I have say 192/256/384/512 MB
> of Ram installed? or should I make sure it sits at 64mb and nothing higher?
> I want to this right this time.
>
> Thanks
>
> Heath Henderson

This is really more a Server-Linux question rather than a Netatalk question,
but in any case...

Linux (at least I know fer sure RH does) has a 128MB swap partition size, so
using 256MB of swap space would require you make two separate partitions of
128MB each. How much swap your machine uses, of course, will completely
depend on the usage pattern for your particular site. If it helps, I have a
file server doing Samba, Netatalk, and printing for about 250 users, 256MB
RAM, 128MB partition for swap, and it NEVER uses it's swap space (ok, ok, it
did use 300K of swap once). If you plan on running X on these servers, that
will use lots more RAM.

A better way to guage your needs is to go to an existing server (assuming
its linux), and run vmstat (see the man pages on vmstat for explanation) at
the busiest time of the day and work from there.

C.