Re: Wrapping MIME around an appledouble file

Subject: Re: Wrapping MIME around an appledouble file
From: Chris Garrigues (cwg-dated-31581d2f1b515f68@deepeddy.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 18:05:29 EST

> From: Bob Rogers <rogers-netatalk@rgrjr.dyndns.org>
> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:08:39 -0500
>
> From: "Chris Garrigues" <cwg-dated-e7ea9493218076d8@deepeddy.com>
> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:07:25 -0600
>
> I need to grab a file saved on a server using netatalk from a perl CGI and
> transmit it to the user.
>
> So far, all my attempts do is to crash netscape with an error of type
> 3. This makes it kinda hard to debug.
>
> Has anybody done this? Is there anything special I have to do to the data?
>
> My guess is that the .AppleDouble part is blowing Netscape's poor little
> mind, since it is actually binary data rather than 8-bit text. I would
> try sending it using base64 encoding; you can pipe it through the
> attached helper app, courtesy of the vm mail reader (version 6.89,
> (http://www.wonderworks.com/vm).
>
> Deciding how to encode the data fork might be trickier . . . base64
> should be sufficient, though probably overkill in many cases.
>
> And then there's the problem of saving these properly on the
> receiving end. Has anybody ever heard of a MIME standard for Mac files?
> Failing that, you might want to try sending a Mac file from a Mac, and
> see how Netscape (or whatever) encodes the data fork (if at all). If it
> does, and the format is not too hard to generate, that might be a better
> solution.

Nice thought, but it turns out that HTTP explicitly does not support
content-transfer-encoding and assumes 8 bit data. When I changed it to
base64, the mac browser simply froze.

When I tried to transfer an ordinary file with a content-transfer-encoding:
base64 to my unix box, it simply ignored the content-transfer-encoding as one
would expect from what I said above.

So, I'm still stuck at the same point. Any other theories why Nutscrape
doesn't like what I'm doing.

I'm beginning to wonder if multipart/appledouble is even supported at all. Do
any of the Mac based web servers allow the download of mac files, and if so
what mime type do they use?

How would i convert these two parts into an applesingle file so I could try
sending them that way.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination. For an explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.