SLP (Service Location Protocol)

Subject: SLP (Service Location Protocol)
From: Matthew Geier (matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 00:44:33 EST

 I got our IP only Digital Server and another Linux NetAtalk server to
show up in the 'network browser' on a MacOSX 'client' machine using
'slpd' and 'static' entries. (See www.openslp.org).

 Apple obviously have a separate way of specifying the name from the
address, as the fqdn shows up in "Network Browser' and not the comment I
place in the skp.reg file, where MacOS9 at least is showing a name that
is NOT an address.

 Pity I cant actually do anything with the OSX client. All files 0k in
length.

 So even if netatalk doesn't directly use the SLP library and register
itself, it can be easily 'fudged' with static entries for slpd.

--
Matthew Geier			matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713