Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X

Subject: Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X
From: Matthew Geier (matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 00:20:54 EST

Ian Wojtowicz wrote:

> Hi Richard.
>
> > I thought OS X would work fine with NFS.
>
> Does NFS on OS X support all the great features we expect from appletalk
> file servers like custom icons, persistent icon arrangements (and window
> locations), robust file aliases, etc.? Or are these features abstracted away
> from the filesystem/protocol layer?

 NFS assumes a little to much trust between the client and server and
also assumes some sort of centralised login. So unless you want to
convert your unix machine to netinfo and have all Mac users login to the
netinfo 'domain', NFS isnt a solution.
 I never got OSX and our Digital Unix server to speak NFS to one another
anyway....

--
Matthew Geier			matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713