Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X

Subject: Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X
From: Maurice Volaski (mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 19:32:04 EST

>Actually, I have used netatalk with OS X, but TCP only. I can't get
>appletalk (pure DPP) to work under OS 9 or X.

The only issue I saw that was Netatalk specific was that DHX
authentication didn't work. It definitely does shows up in the
Chooser, and I want to remember that AppleTalk transport did work,
but I am not wholly certain I tested that.
Unfortunately, if you are using HFS+ volumes on any available
incarnation of the server, you will run into the server stalling when
files are copied from client to server. The bigger the file the
longer the stall. Files about a gig in size won't make it at all.
This affects Samba running on X too. If you are using UFS, your
partition must be smaller than 128 GB; otherwise, fsck won't work.

--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu Computing Support, Rose F. Kennedy Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University