Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X

Subject: Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X
From: Marcus Radich (marcus@darena.co.nz)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 18:40:08 EST

Interesting? I'm running *a version* of OSX that mounts the netatalk
server in our offices, and at home fine.
I go to the 'Go' menu, enter the IP of the Server, enter the
username/password, and it mounts on my desktop.
I have been able to open, save, copy Quark/Photoshop/Filemaker files,
play MP3s directly off it without issue. I must admit, I haven't
given it the full-blown test that it needs, but on the surface, it
works. (Apart from the having to enter IP bit). Based on my
experience, wait until you get a later version than the public beta
;-> OSX does get better, trust me!

I'll give it a full test tonight and report back any weirdo behaviour later on.

Marcus

At 2:59 PM -0800 15/2/2001, Ian Wojtowicz wrote:
>Hi Jeff.
>
>> Some people have gotten netatalk to work under Mac OSX (see the mailing
>> list archives), but nothing officially from Apple, yet.
>
>I've scanned the archives and haven't found a single person who has
>connected to a netatalk server with Mac OS X and actually experienced
>bug-free performance. Netatalk is essentially unusable with Mac OS X. This
>is really unfortunate for organizations that rely on Mac<->Linux
>connectivity.

>ian wojtowicz http://woj.com

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer." Marcus Radich 1999