Re: OPI Server ready

Subject: Re: OPI Server ready
From: Matthew Foust (mfoust@martinwilliams.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 16:29:58 EST

http://www.xinet.com

Xinet is founded by Scott Seabass who you might recognize as one of the authors of the Unix System Administration Hanbook, aka that red Unix book, now that purple Unix book. At any rate, they have, in my humble opinion, the best OPI package out there. They have great information on OPI and other prepress-related technologies on their website.

Matthew Foust
Technology Manager
Martin/Williams Advertising
60 South Sixth Street, 28th Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55402
TEL (612) 340-0800
FAX (612) 342-9700
mfoust@martinwilliams.com

>>> "Frank Morton" <fmorton@base2inc.com> 02/06/01 02:50PM >>>
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 01:43:32PM -0500, Frank Morton wrote:
> > Good! Does it include utilities to make fpo images?
>
> What are fpo images?

Sorry for not explaining. "fpo" stands for "for position only" and on
traditional opi systems it is a lower resolution version of the original
image. The fpo image can be used for placement on screen and is
sometimes able to be printed at the lower resolution. The opi server
removes the fpo and substitutes the full resolution image.

For those interested, here are some docs on adobe's site:

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5660.OPI_2.0.pdf

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/OPI_13.pdf

Frank Morton
fmorton@base2inc.com