Re: 1-gigabit-router for netatalk?

Subject: Re: 1-gigabit-router for netatalk?
From: vgb@enschede.dhs.org
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 12:03:25 EST

> Hi there,
>
> I have a question concerning networking in
> general and in this special case
> netatalk.
>
> We will split our network (about 100 clients, 80
> are macs, and all are
> getting data from a linux server) into 2 parts:
> one secure (for "service" and
> backup) which isn't reachable from the internet,
> one open (the pool for the
> students), which can be seen from the outside
> and takes the fileserver, which can
> be accessed via ftp, smb and netatalk from the
> outside. These two parts are
> linked by a machine which has two 1-GB-nics (to
> get full speed between the
> switches of the two parts) and also acts as a
> firewall to the internet as well
> as between the two network parts (as we don't
> want our users to access large
> format printers in the closed network).
>
> So, I would like to hear your opinion if this
> configuration will be ok in
> general (does the firewall, which is only
> filtering, not masquerading, take a
> lot of cpu-power? will a 200mhz-pentiumpro be
> ok?) and with netatalk, which
> isn't very tolerant in bad network
> configurations, as far as I know. We need
> stable connections from our clients to the
> server, as we have a lot of very big
> files in use. So, is any body using something
> like this router/firewall with
> 1Gigabit and netatalk, or should we better take
> something prebuilt?
>
> BTW: we think 3com-Gigabits are ok, any
> experiences with them and netatalk?
>
> Thank you for your help, CU, Lars.

After a lot af testing I would not recommend the 3Com
3C985 Gigabit Nic because it is a expensive and not a
very fast Nic, after a reboot (as is needed to test a
machine before selling it :)) almost every second time
the card failed with seg-faults.

We now are using Level-One or Intel Gigabit ethernics
and are satisfied with these but this is only one
opinion. I would like to know if there are other people
who engaged the same problems,

Vincent