1-gigabit-router for netatalk?

Subject: 1-gigabit-router for netatalk?
From: grobe@gmx.net
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 05:31:17 EST

Hi there,

I have a question concerning networking in general and in this special case
netatalk.

We will split our network (about 100 clients, 80 are macs, and all are
getting data from a linux server) into 2 parts: one secure (for "service" and
backup) which isn't reachable from the internet, one open (the pool for the
students), which can be seen from the outside and takes the fileserver, which can
be accessed via ftp, smb and netatalk from the outside. These two parts are
linked by a machine which has two 1-GB-nics (to get full speed between the
switches of the two parts) and also acts as a firewall to the internet as well
as between the two network parts (as we don't want our users to access large
format printers in the closed network).

So, I would like to hear your opinion if this configuration will be ok in
general (does the firewall, which is only filtering, not masquerading, take a
lot of cpu-power? will a 200mhz-pentiumpro be ok?) and with netatalk, which
isn't very tolerant in bad network configurations, as far as I know. We need
stable connections from our clients to the server, as we have a lot of very big
files in use. So, is any body using something like this router/firewall with
1Gigabit and netatalk, or should we better take something prebuilt?

BTW: we think 3com-Gigabits are ok, any experiences with them and netatalk?

Thank you for your help, CU, Lars.